Sketch of My Blog

Our Journey in Life is more than we allow it to be.
We must all Be Ourselves to really enjoy what's all around us.
Take hold and learn from Life and Others.

I Follow the Way of Jesus.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent and excitement leading us to the Cross.


Well Lent starts today.  For me it started at around 6:30 this morning.  I got to work early and got to read my verse and have my devotional.  It was based on Luke 4:1-13.  I got to read the study notes from my Life Application Bible and it was very interesting.  Christians are called to follow GOD and to glorify GOD and to obey GOD.  That is not an easy prospect to live with.  I am serious when I say that, because I have been a Christian for approximately 24+ years, and I have not always followed, obeyed or glorified GOD.  There have been times when I chose to do what I wanted to do, not what was right, even though sometimes it was not always wrong, just a shortcut to a goal that had I waited for would have come in time.

I hear that people try to give something up for Lent.  The 40 days that lead up to Easter.  It is supposed to be in supplication and devotion that we do this.  I am going to rock the boat a  little.  I am not giving anything up, not chocolate, not peanut butter, not time with my family, not bread, not anything.  What I am going to do is try to make a new habit and change something about my life that I know needs changing.  I am dedicating my 40 days to spending time with GOD in devotion, bible study and prayer.  So far I am off to a good start.  I had my reading and time spent with GOD, while in prayer and listening and learning.  So I am going to try and make this goal a reality.  My wife found, online, A Daily Bible Reading for Lent.  It is daily, by weekly starting with today.  I am very thankful that she found it and shared it with me.  So I pass it on to those who might be interested.

LORD,  Help me to learn your WORD more fully.  Help me to understand it and add it to my knowledge so that I can use it properly and at appropriate times.  GOD I thank you for your blessings and for my Family.  Keep me in you WILL and guide and strengthen me.  Lead me in YOUR ways and let me follow YOU, obey YOU and glorify YOU all my days.  Praise to GOD for LENT and Thank You JESUS for your Sacrifice.  Amen.

Life Application Study Notes excerpt:
4:1-13 Knowing and obeying God's Word is an effective weapon against temptation, the only offensive weapon provided in the Christian's "armor" (Ephesians 6:17). Jesus used Scripture to counter Satan's attacks, and so should we. But to use it effectively, we must have faith in God's promises because Satan also knows Scripture and is adept at twisting it to suit his purposes. Obeying the Scriptures is more important than simply having a verse to quote, so read them daily and apply them to your life. Then your "sword" will always be sharp.  Life Application Study Bible.

I also have a side note of some excitement.  At my church I will be playing my Hammered Dulcimer for some special music during the giving of the ashes.  I am a bit nervous and excited at the same time.  I also just found out that my Warbler is ready to ship to me and I can't wait to get it.  I am so looking forward to playing it for a Hammered Dulcimer demonstration for a school on the 25th of March.  I have a lot going for me in the way of an exciting Lent.  Even the fact that my wife is giving me this new Dulcimer as a Birthday gift.  My wife and I are changing so much lately and it is wonderful changes.  We keep growing and learning more and just being more ourselves than ever before and on top of it all we are enjoying life so much more.  I am so looking forward to what GOD has in store for our lives.  I know that sometimes temptations and trouble come our way, but GOD will lead us through the waters.  Read Isaiah 43, it says all you need to know about GOD and HIS guidance and protection.

Enjoy Lent ! If you don't give something up then pick up something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment