Sketch of My Blog

Our Journey in Life is more than we allow it to be.
We must all Be Ourselves to really enjoy what's all around us.
Take hold and learn from Life and Others.

I Follow the Way of Jesus.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Living By The Spirit's Power or Doing What's Right


The Lent Reading for today came from Galatians 5:16-26.  It talked about how we can let the Holy Spirit guide our actions and how we can learn to listen to GOD and HIS voice.  That way we can do the right things the things of GOD instead of the things of the world.  Everyone wants to follow their own way and do what they want to do.  It is none other than what we call human nature.  But do you know what GOD's nature is? HIS nature is written there clear as day in verses 22-23.
Let me quote: "  22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT) "  That is pretty clear to me.  If we listen to GOD and follow HIS word and obey what HE directs us to instead of listening to our selves and take the time to distinguish the two voices and follow after GOD's then we are Alive in the Spirit of GOD.

Being in the Spirit means doing what is right and that has many implications.  I know that there are times in my life alone that I don't always want to do what is right.  I can fall down and not want to get up.  Or choose to do what I want despite knowing that what I want to do is wrong.  I am far from prefect, yet I keep trying to do what is right each and every day.  I go to work, I try to be polite and patient with people.  I try to get my work done and do the best I can.  But I do not always feel like doing that.  Sometimes it is a bit of struggle.  Sometimes I have to take a walk just to keep my patience.  We should all try to do what is right for GOD, for ourselves and for others.

It's a basic principal that goes back to Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, being your Brother's Keeper.  And Rich Mullins put it well in his song with the same title.  To do what is right is to look after your brother and your sister, your neighbors.  Jesus said it well when he requoted the first two of the Ten Commandments.  Love the LORD your GOD and Love Your Neighbor as Yourself.

I understand that some people have a hard time loving themselves, let alone others.  And still others can love their neighbor and not love themselves.  The world is made up of all types of people and it is not and easy job to love others and sometimes it is not an easy job to love yourself.  GOD's Holy Spirit is there to help us listen to HIS voice so we can do what is right.  So we can love ourselves and our neighbors.  We have the gift of HIS Spirit to do what is right if we can only find time to listen.

So here I am still trying to listen and do the right things.  Even if I sometimes fall down and have to pick myself up and try again.  I am a Work In Progress and GOD is still working on me.  Try to do what is right and listen to GOD.  GOD has all the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment