Sketch of My Blog

Our Journey in Life is more than we allow it to be.
We must all Be Ourselves to really enjoy what's all around us.
Take hold and learn from Life and Others.

I Follow the Way of Jesus.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Living Life by God's Word and Climbing God's Word Mountain

Psalms 119:1-8 (NLT)     Aleph
1 Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the Lord.
2 Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts.
3 They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths.
4 You have charged us to keep your commandments carefully.
5 Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your decrees!
6 Then I will not be ashamed when I compare my life with your commands.
7 As I learn your righteous regulations, I will thank you by living as I should!
8 I will obey your decrees. Please don’t give up on me!

Psalms 119 is very unique in that it is the longest chapter in the bible and the longest psalm.  Each section of the psalm is 8 verses long and is representative of the 22 letters of the Hebrew aleph-bet or alphabet.  God's word is mentioned through out the psalm.  So listening to God the other night I was told to start here.  Psalm 119 the longest chapter and psalm in the bible.  I said but that it the longest chapter and psalm in the bible.  God's response was "You want to learn? Then start here and listen and learn."

So here I start and I want to capture what it says to me.  It could say something completely different to you and that is okay, I agree to disagree and you may comment if you like.  We can discuss too.  But I am looking at it from my point of view, my life experience and my own views on life.  That is all I have and I believe that is all anyone has.  Sometimes that coincides with others and sometimes it does not.

I like the first two verses.  Why?  Because they make sense and I understand them so well.  Joyful you will be if you listen to God and follow Him.  I am sometimes not joyful, but I could be more joy-filled if I did what was right.  Not only in my own eyes, but also in God's eyes.  The next two verses tells us to walk righteously and keep God's commands.  Saying the same thing as the first two verses only using different words.  Then stating it again with the rest of the verses.  It is a repetitive stanza of 8 verses, but re-emphasizing it differently.

This first part of Psalm 119 is saying that we need to follow God's commands.  Do His will and walk upright and within His teachings.  Do that and we will be a better person.  That is pretty simple to me.  Listen to God, Do what is Right and you will be a better person.

Did you notice the ending?  "Please don’t give up on me"  Very interesting way to end a section.  A cry, a plea, a request.  Don't Give Up On Me, Please!  I want to scream it sometimes, just by the way I act and think and be.  God, I know I have screwed up, I know I am a sinner, I know I am a repeat offender, but (here it comes) Please Don't give up on me!  What more can you say to the ruler of All.  I am nothing in comparison to you God.  I know you love me and I know you care about me, but I also know that I wrong you daily and sometimes hourly.  I hurt you and do things that are not becoming a child of the King.  So Please, don't give up on me!  This section ends in an act of contrition.  We bow before our God and say have mercy, even forgive me.

This first section labeled Aleph says to me what to do to live by God's rules.  Tells me to listen to God and follow His will and His commands.  It also says to be contrite, humble and submissive.  I want that for my life.

So that is that, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment